Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Assignment 2

Professional Life:
 I have served as the principal of South San Francisco High School for the past ten years.  Affectionately referred to as"South City", the school has been in existence for almost 100 years.  The demographics of the city and the school have changed significantly over the years.    Many people know of it from its designation as "The Industrial City" seen from Highway 101 near the airport.  The school is very diverse with 40% of the 1600 students being Latino.  About 35% of the students are on Free and Reduced Lunch, and 12% are English Learners.  I taught English and special eduction at the school before becoming principal.  Currently, professional development is focused on developing curriculum and pedagogy that includes backwards planning, common assessments, benchmark assessments, and the identification of best practices.  

Why a Doctorate:
I chose to pursue a doctor in L&I because I am interested in how learning takes place.  While working with a diverse student population my entire career, I have wanted to explore how different socioeconomic and emotional issues that students bring to school with them affect learning.  I would also like to develop expertise on how to enhance learning for all students.  I hope that the knowledge I gain will enable me to be a better curriculum leader.

Possible Project Topics:
This is a difficult decision.  However, I think I would like to investigate a topic in the realm of Instructional Approaches.  I am particularly interested in Project-Based Learning.  I believe that this approach the instruction is designed for maximum student interest, motivation, and success.

No comments:

Post a Comment